Friday, May 21, 2010

Inspiration for Bridesmaid Gowns









I am thrilled to have been asked to design and construct 3 bridesmaid gowns for my sister's October wedding. I'm using the term Bridesmaid "Gown" because the wedding is at the Banff Springs Hotel and Kayleigh's dress is opulant to say the least. I have finished designing the gowns, all distinct but coherent with the tone of this event, which is elegant, classic and vintage. It has been fun going through drafts and coming up with my final sketches! The materials I'm using are embroidered lace, soft shimmer satin, pearl buttons and tulle (as well as pearl & crystal hand embroidery)for all 3 gowns. The colour is absolutely fabulous, it is this dove grey with a warm light blue undertone and I am up for the challenge of hand dying the lace to match this exact colour.
When I started researching for this project I couldn't get the classic look out of my head, which prompted me to revert back to the very famous Grace Kelly gown she wore when she married the Prince of Monaco. What I really love about going back in time is that garments were designed in a more demure and lady like manner, unlike now. Don't get me wrong, there are designers who still acheive this, it can be much more appealing and effective when you cover it up a bit. I am excited to start construction on these wonderful gowns, as soon as I get the lace died!!! I will keep this progress updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment